4835 Lyndon B Johnson Fwy, Dallas, TX 75244

I applied for a Marketing Manager (a supervising manager position) position with a company called the John Capra Agency in Dallas through ZipRecruiter. I received an online request to come to their office for an interview.

I had a couple of questions first. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a preliminary interview (as I live 3 hours away) and wanted some info on the Agency (there was 0 info about it on Google). I called the person (Ken Keith) that was listed in the interview email. After asking my questions (which he didn't answer), he asked me what I had applied for, about my experience, and salary expectations.

He said I sounded like a good fit and the salary expectations were in line with the pay. He added that the job ad should have said Combined Insurance (which it didn't). He said I should speak to John Capra himself as he would have the answers and gave me his number. I called and left messages with him twice and never received a reply.

I went ahead and scheduled the interview (shot in the dark), and drove up to their office.

It was a nice office, but no receptionist. A man asked me to sit in a conference room with others (I just assumed they were in line for an interview). I sat next to one guy who had his resume out. I asked him if they were begind and he said he didn't know.

A few minutes later a man comes in and starts placing pamphlets in front of us. I get a pamphlet that says "sales careers". I lean over to the guy next to me and ask what position he applied for. He said "Sales Executive".

I pull the man (John Hunt I believe) with the pamphlets aside and tell him that there must be a mistake as I didn't apply for a sales position.

He asks me what position I applied for and I tell him Marketing Manager. He corrects me and says its a "Market Manager" position. I refute him and show him the job ad. It shows it clearly as a supervising manager position titled Marketing Manager.

I tell him I've been the Director of Marketing for a group of companies for over 6 years and I was never looking for a sale position. I explain how far I drove and how much time and money they wasted me. I ask him how he's going to make it right. He says he's sorry and that it was the recruiting agency's fault.

I tell him this is absolutely not true as the 2 people responsible (Ken Keith and John Capra) are officed right next door to his. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he said he was it.

These kinds of companies disguise sales position job ads with meaningless, non-applicable titles that sound super important, yet are only meant to lure applicants in.

They never even looked at my resume or location. The serious lack of unprofessionalism and this kind of false advertising by this company is completely unacceptable.

Reason of review: Work Experience or Job Application.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments